Nominations for 2017 are closed.
Do you know or are you a student who is interested in promoting our mission and supporting women technologists? Submit a Student Nomination for the Anita Borg Institute Board of Trustees! Two student members serve on our Board to help us cultivate the next generation of nonprofit board leaders while also helping us connect, inspire, and guide women in technology. Learn more about how you can nominate a student (or yourself) for this position.
- Practical experience to help them better understand strategic and tactical issues facing nonprofit boards
- Insight into the differing roles of Board members and the Anita Borg Institute’s executive team and the challenges both parties encounter in driving our success
- Inspiration to contribute as future Board members in the nonprofit sector
The Anita Borg Institute Gains:
- Different perspectives and richness from a broader demographic range
- Community outreach into universities and increasing the Board’s circle of contacts
- Next generation of leaders committed to our mission
Expectations of Students
- Serve a two year term that begins September 1 and ends August 31 of the second year
- Attend three board meetings a year; two in the Bay Area and the third at Grace Hopper Celebration
- Join one Board committee
- Resign your membership by August 31 of the second year
Nominations for 2017 are closed.
We will post a call for student nominations four to five weeks before nominations close. Please feel free to nominate yourself. We accept nominations from both grad and undergrad students, as well as from both men and women, with a slight preference for women.
A committee comprised of selected members of the Anita Borg Institute’s academic community (typically former student board members) will review and evaluate all nominations. Our Executive and Nominating & Corporate Governance Committees will select one student to present to the Board. The Board will formally vote to elect the student for a term of two years.
See the timeline below for important dates and more details.
|April 12||The Anita Borg Institute’s CEO distributes a call for student nominations to the Trustees, Advisory Board, selected members of the academic community. We also post this call in our newsletter, webpage, and social media.
You may nominate yourself.
|May 19||Close date for student nominations|
|May 24 – June 7||Academic review of nominations|
|June 16||Nominations sent to the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee for review|
|June 30||Committee selects the top three (3) candidates and selects the interview team|
|July 5||Interview team interviews the three candidates and makes its recommendation for student board member|
|July 24||One (1) student is chosen to join the Board at the Joint Executive/Nominating & Corporate Governance Committee Meeting based on the recommendation|
|July 28||Nominating & Corporate Governance Committee Chair will notify the chosen student’s nominator. Once nominator is notified, the chair and our CEO ask the student to join the Board for a term starting September 1, 2017 – August 31, 2019|
|October 6||Board formally votes to elect a student for a term of two (2) years|
Please contact Leslie Wilkinson if you have any questions.