Awards: ‘ABI’ Denice Denton Emerging Leader Award
The Denice Denton Emerging Leader Award recognizes a junior faculty member for high-quality research and significant positive impact on diversity. Recipients are honored by the technical women’s community at the Grace Hopper Celebration and invited to give a presentation on their work and accomplishments at the conference. The award includes a prize of $5,000.
The ‘ABI’ Denice Denton Emerging Leader Award honors the life and career of Professor Denice Denton (1959 – 2006), a woman engineering faculty member and the first female dean of a school of engineering in a major US research university. She worked throughout her life to give minorities a voice and to make engineering attractive to women and minorities, strongly promoted diversity in higher education, and helped many people break barriers and find their path in life.
The award is presented each year to a junior tenure-track (non-tenured) faculty member (under the age of 40) at an academic or research institution.
Potential nominees are:
- Pursuing high-quality research in any field of engineering or physical sciences
- Demonstrating a significant leadership capability
- Contributing significantly to promote diversity in his/her environment
2013 Nominations are closed
- February 2013: Nominations open
- May 15, 2013 11:59pm PST: Deadline to submit Nominations
- July 2013: Notifications will be sent to nominators
- October 3, 2013: Awards celebration in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Reza Ghodssi, University of Maryland, College Park, Chair
- Leslie Field, Small Tech Consulting
- Carol Espy-Wilson, University of Maryland, College Park
- Amy Wendt, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Please contact Bénédicte Richardson.
Please note that as a U.S. based organization, we must comply with all applicable U.S. laws and regulations, including those regarding financial transactions with certain countries and individuals.
You may obtain additional details regarding the laws and regulations referenced above by visiting the following web site: http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/