The Denice Denton Emerging Leader ABIE Award recognizes a junior faculty member for high-quality research and significant positive impact on diversity. The award includes a prize of $5,000.
Nominations for 2015 closed May 1.
The Denice Denton Emerging Leader ABIE Award honors the life and career of Professor Denice Denton (1959 – 2006), a woman engineering faculty member and the first female dean of a school of engineering in a major US research university. She worked throughout her life to give minorities a voice and to make engineering attractive to women and minorities, strongly promoted diversity in higher education, and helped many people break barriers and find their path in life.
The award is presented each year to a junior tenure-track (non-tenured) faculty member (under the age of 40) at an academic or research institution.
Potential nominees are:
- Pursuing high-quality research in any field of engineering or physical sciences
- Demonstrating a significant leadership capability
- Contributing significantly to promote diversity in his/her environment
- February 9, 2015: Nominations open
- May 1, 2015 11:59pm PST: Deadline to submit Nominations
- End of July 2015: Notifications will be sent to nominators