Be a part of the team working to transform technology by ensuring that the people who build technology mirror the people who use it!
The Anita Borg Institute connects, inspires, and guides women in computing and organizations that view innovation as a strategic imperative. We are creating a new Digital Products team to create and maintain the increasingly critical digital components of our programs.
As a Senior Software Developer, you are a key player in communicating and realizing ABI’s mission with our partners and our community, working on the most visible parts of our technology infrastructure. You will be building digital products used by our partners such as Amazon, Google, Facebook and VMware, and by thousands of women technologists from students to professors and senior industry professionals. You will work 2 days a week in our Palo Alto office and 3 days a week remotely.
This position offers the opportunity to:
- Directly apply your industry experience to define data models, APIs, and secure and scale our web services
- Directly apply your deep expertise with WordPress/PHP to create and maintain our thriving online ABI.Local community
- Directly apply your substantial development experience to define our front end architecture
- Work on a variety of strategic projects, partnering directly with program leaders to bring their programs for fruition
- Be part of a passionate team who is driven by a sense of mission
- Within the first 4 months:
- Develop and launch the front end portion of a new system that collects, stores, analyzes and reports employment diversity metrics in support of ABI’s Top Companies program
- Within the first year:
- In concert with the rest of the Digital Products team, define and implement a process to identify, prioritize and create digital solutions for our Grace Hopper Celebration, Women of Vision, ABI.Local, Systers and other programs
- Develop and implement new business solutions to support the overall organization
- Deep expertise with LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) development is required, as is knowledge of relational and/or NoSQL data modeling, Model View Controller architectural pattern
- Experience building web services that accept, process, store and serve data
- Deep expertise with Python is required, as is knowledge of relational and/or NoSQL data modeling, Model View Controller architectural pattern
- Practical experience selecting, securing and scaling web services infrastructure pieces
- Assist in the implementation and integration of Enterprise systems
- Integration using API or Web Services with various systems
- Experience with identifying and reusing the best themes and plugins when solving a common problem, and with customizing and creating themes or plugins when solving a novel problem
- Experience building pixel perfect web user interfaces
- A portfolio of web interfaces you have implemented
- Experience with UI/UX design preferred
- Self starting, self teaching, self managing work style
- 7+ years of industry experience with both back end and front end web development
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related technical field
Qualified candidates passionate about closing the gender gap in computer science should email a cover letter with current and desired compensation and a resume to email@example.com and indicate Software Developer in the subject line.
About Anita Borg Institute
The Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology was founded in 1994 by renowned computer scientist Anita Borg, Ph.D. (1949-2003). Through our work, the Anita Borg Institute (ABI) provides resources and programs that help industry, academia, and government organizations connect, inspire and guide women in computing to meet the growing global need for technology workers and to increase technological innovation.