Reporting to the VP of Operations, the ABI Senior Director of the Grace Hopper Celebration (GHC) has a large scope of responsibility. S/he owns development of the GHC long-term strategy and execution of the Anita Borg Institute’s flagship event. This position is central to the success of our mission to connect, inspire and guide women technologists, and requires a “thinker,” not just a “do-er,” who can bring unique and fresh approaches to the table and develop innovative approaches to bridge thousands to career opportunities, expansive networks and the latest information on technology. A successful person in this position will use their skills to work cross-functionally with Finance, Marketing, Business Development, Organizational Transformation and Human Resources functions, ensuring information is appropriately shared and discussed among key stakeholders, and that communication is continuous and a natural flow of strategic development and execution processes.
This role will interface with key influencers and decision makers, including the Anita Borg Institute Board of Trustees, ABI staff, leaders from our volunteer community and other business partners that are essential to our organization’s success. A global force for gender diversity in technical roles, ABI seeks a critical thinker with exceptional collaboration skills, financial acumen and who is passionate about our vision and mission.
The Senior Director of GHC will work closely with the VP of Operations to revise the GHC long-term global strategy, improve event management systems, processes and policies, and play a significant role in driving initiatives in the management team and organizationally that contribute to long-term excellence.
- Strategic Planning
- Review, revise and improve the long-term GHC strategy, working with the Head of Strategy
- Develop impact measurements in support of the strategy, ensuring ABI’s evaluation strategy supports these measures
- Track execution of strategic milestones
- Financial Management
- Develop and manage the GHC financial business model, working with the SVP of Business Development
- Effectively and frequently review margins of product offerings
- Product Management
- Create GHC product offerings, working closely with all departments
- Lead and plan substantial discussions on product prioritization, collaborating across the organization on opportunities to drive efficiencies and, where appropriate, limit or scale back work to ensure resources are placed on the highest priority items
- Systems Implementation
- Working closely with the CIO, identify and implement recommended event management applications and tools that will allow GHC to scale
- Optimize systems investments, working across ABI’s geographical locations, especially in the U.S. and India
- Develop and produce quality measures and operations reports, both for the ABI Board of Trustees and for ABI staff, highlighting progress toward our mission and key achievements, areas of challenge and long-term direction
- Identify tools and systems that improve event quality and customer success
Measures of Success
- Management of GHC strategic development and planning processes with the ABI Head of Strategy
- Clear communication and internal alignment across the organization
- Overall execution of the GHC event, maintaining quality while scaling
- Development of and execution to the GHC financial business model
- Cross-company alignment on product offerings and management of resource prioritization
- Identification of metrics of success and development of reports and other communication mechanisms to show progress on ABI’s mission
The Senior Director of GHC will be a leader with a commitment to our vision and mission to increase the representation of women in technical roles. In addition, s/he will have the following experience and attributes:
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required, preferably in a technical field of study
- At least ten years of event management experience with a demonstrated track record of achievement and the proven ability to be strategic
- An advanced ability to track fiscal requirements at a detailed level
- A collaborative, flexible style, that successfully partners with staff, independent of level, function or geography
- An ability to influence without direct management authority
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment
- Experience utilizing project management software at a sophisticated level
- Superb written and oral communication skills
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, demanding and dynamic environment
Qualified candidates should apply to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Anita Borg Institute
The Anita Borg Institute is a nonprofit organization that connects, inspires and guides women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. Founded in 1997 by computer scientist Anita Borg, our reach extends to more than 60 countries. We believe technology innovation powers the global economy, and that women are crucial to building technology the world needs. As a nonprofit social enterprise, we recognize women making positive contributions and advise organizations on how to improve performance by building gender inclusive teams.